Broadband Competence Office (BCO)
About usCroatian Broadband Competence Office (BCO) is part of the European Union BCO network, launched within the scope of the initiative to foster the development of broadband access. BCO network helps achieve the EU objectives of Gigabit Society and Digital Decade through the exchange of experiences and best practices of the Member States.
The Croatian BCO is established by Article 19 of The Electronic Communications Act (OG 76/22; ZEK), and in the Republic of Croatia the role of BCO is performed by HAKOM. In addition to the ZEK, the role of BCO is also described in National plan for broadband development in Republic of Croatia in period 2021 - 2027.
RoleThe BCO’s core task is to identify and address market failures affecting broadband coverage. BCO cooperates with ministries, local/regional self-government units, operators, citizens, and other interested user groups in order to further develop broadband access.
BCO key activities:
- Connecting different groups of users
- Broadband-related information and advice
- Provision of expert assistance related to the development of projects
- Promotion of the use of financial instruments (state aid, EU funds)
- Implementation and monitoring of national broadband plans and strategies