Preskočite na glavni sadržaj

Railway Services Market Recovery- More Cargo and Passengers transported by Rail

In the second quarter of 2021 more cargo and passengers were transported via rail compared to the same period last year.

ZAGREB, 20 September 2021 – At the railway services market, in the second quarter of 2021, the freight railway transport carried 1,7% more cargo with 6.5% less tonne kilometres compared to the same period last year. At the same time, new freight railway undertakings accounted for 4.2 % more goods and 1 % less tonne kilometres. HŽ Cargo d.o o. transported 1, 9 % less goods and achieved 11.1 % less tonne kilometres. In the second quarter, new freight railway undertakings held a 60,9 % share in the carried cargo and 48,1% in tonne kilometres compared to the total quantity of carried cargo and tonne kilometres performed by all freight railway undertakings.

By comparing the share of tonne kilometres per type of transport, freight transport accounted for one third of the total traffic with 32.8 %, while passenger transport accounts for the remaining 67.2 %. Out of all freight railway companies, the largest share of tonne kilometres was owned by the Croatian Railway Company H.Ž.Cargo d.o.o., 54.1 % while nine new railway freight companies accounted for the remaining share. At the same time, three new railway freight undertakings were not active. Railway freight transport achieved a 5.6 % reduction in tonne kilometres, with the Croatian Railway Company HŽ Cargo d.o.o. achieving 9.4 % and the new freight undertakings 0.8 % less tonne kilometres. Passenger transport recorded a 76.8 % growth in tonne kilometres from the same period last year, primarily due to the suspension of public passenger transport during the second quarter of 2020. Compared to the second quarter of the last year, on the passenger rail transport market, the number of passengers carried recorded a growth by 99.4% and passenger kilometres by 112.6%, indicating economic market revival.

Indicators on Railway Markets Indicators are available on the website of the Croatian Regulatory Authority for Network Industries (HAKOM) and can be accessed through the following link.

For additional information please contact:

Croatian Regulatory Authority for Network Industries (HAKOM)

  • Roberta Frangeša-Mihanovića 9 Street
  • 10110 Zagreb, Croatia
  • Tel. + 385 (0) 1 700 70 07
  • Fax + 385 (0)1 700 70 70

Media inquiries can be submitted online using HAKOM’s official website:

About Hakom

HAKOM - Croatian Regulatory Authority for Network Industries – ensures preconditions for a fair market competition, stable growth and environment for innovations in the electronic communications and postal services market. HAKOM protects users’ interests and the possibility of choice among various communications and postal services at affordable prices, defines sustainable competitive conditions for operators and service providers under fair conditions for return on investment, and provides support to economic growth, public services and the quality of life in the Republic of Croatia by using modern technologies. HAKOM’ strategic goals are: to promote regulation of the electronic communications and postal services market, to support growth of investments and innovations in the electronic communications and postal services market, to provide efficient use of limited resources, to accelerate the growth of broadband products and services, to provide affordable offers of communications and postal services, to provide protection and informing of users, to build an efficient and comprehensive information system, to define and implement efficient processes, and to acquire multi-disciplinary expertise in market regulation.